- It is in Blekinge that happens
Just on the border between the forest and the open sea, people have lived and worked for thousands of years. Here, communities have emerged alongside seas, forests and rich natural values far sooner than we previously thought. Don't be surprised if you realise relatively quickly that it was in Blekinge that everything started.
With the peace in Roskilde in 1658, Blekinge once ended up for everyone under Swedish rule. Now, old unrighteousness would no longer affect the border area, which for hundreds of years has been a border between the Danes in the south and the Swedes in the north. Several thousand years before that, the coastal areas around Blekinge were populated by collectors, hunters and fishermen who were probably resident already 9600 years ago (Vesan, Solvesborg). Then the coastline lay about 2 kilometres straight out into the water of the Baltic Sea - which was then fresh water - surrounded by the mountain Ryssberget in the west and the water-rich, animal-rich forests full of oxen, red deer, bear and wolf.
- in Sölvesborg
Just under 1.5 kilometres southwest of the entrance to the hard rock festival Sweden Rock, 9000 years ago, it was one of the Nordic countries' first and most extensive fermentation plant for fish. At the excavation of the new motorway between Stensnäs and Sölve, archaeologists found 200,000 fish bones in an unpalatable pine, which after extensive analyses corresponded to 60 tonnes of fish.
At the edge of the now devised lake Vesan, large fermentation plants were already 9000 years ago.
An entirely unique find, says Adam Boethius, an osteologist at Lund University.
Not only does it show that people were living far earlier than we thought so far, but also that they were refined and could store food for the winter. Usually, the fishbone has long since deteriorated. Unlike mammals, the bones of the fish are so fragile that rarely find traces of fish in archaeological excavations. But just in Sölvesborg, the amount of fish was so large that the plant has hardly been used for self-catering needs, but rather for larger communities. About 80% of the fish was tender, but pike, perch and various kinds of carp fish have also been able to be determined in the findings. Since salt at that time was expensive and difficult to obtain, pine bark was probably used as a fermenter before the fish were packaged in individual leather bags, by a seal, and dug into the ground. As the first pantry in the Nordic countries.
The modern E22 between Sölve and Stensnäs has been built directly over 9000-year-old fermentation remedies. The oldest in the north.
Visit: The excavation site at Vesan is now under the asphalted E22. You can, however, visit the area around, among other things, via the gravel road directly west of the roundabout in Norje or follow the Vesan Canal as best it can, between fields and forests.
Mark of a dragon
Beautiful Hanö is an excellent excursion by boat from Nogersund in Listerlandet. Follow the white trail around Hanö and enjoy the barren island in the middle of Hanö Bay. During the Napoleonic War, Hanö was the base for the English fleet, which during the years 1810-1812, when Sweden was formally at war with Great Britain (a war forced by France since the loss of the Pomeranian war), could no longer use Swedish deep ports for its operations in the Baltic Sea. On a granite wall right next to the Blackstone cave Rövarkulan, which is said to have hidden both robbers and theft, the Drakamärket is visible. It is a thin folded layer of old gneiss, which according to legend arose when a dragon was dazzled by the lighthouse who lit for the first time in 1869 and crashed straight into in the rock wall. www.hano.nu
Take the boat to Hanö and enjoy exciting stories and beautiful scenery.
Snapphanarna in Skåneland
(which at that time included both Blekinge and Halland)
What were the people who today are carelessly calling for fast-paced males? Terrorists who did everything they could to kill Swedish soldiers or liberation warriors who were terrified of losing what little they already had? To understand a bit better, we must back the time back to 1658 and the Swedish / Danish peace in Roskilde. To guarantee its newly won power, the Swedish king allowed riders and drones to move in with the peasants in Skåneland to have eyes and ears everywhere. The war-wounded and ravaged soldiers abused, vandalised and plundered their hosts and raped women without exception. The farmers, of course, protested, but the views gave no hearing to the authorities and instead the children's right to inherit their parents and in those cases where the farmer died inherited half of the farm and the soldier half. If the wife also killed, the soldier inherited everything. A law change that made the peasants terrified when the dragons didn't always wait for the farmer to die naturally. Nowadays you can take part in exciting lectures by Stina Helmersson and Tommy Wirén about the snappharna at Ryssberget at Saloon Longhorn at Ryssberget's foot during the summer months. www.stinahelmersson.se
Beautiful apple orchard at Ryssberget's foot in Sölvesborg. Classic snappeland.
Valhall's steep family run at the Orlunden lake just east of Olofström has undoubtedly never been used other than for recreation. Still, the sayings and stories never seem to run out of the people who jumped - or were thrown off the slope - when the hustle and bustle of living ran them out of their hands. Throughout the country, the rumour of the barbaric lineages has caused us to be phased over the cruelty of the time, but even though there are hundreds of places that have allegedly had the role of estates, there is not a single example where one has really been able to prove its existence. Instead, the rumour probably comes from the Icelandic Gautreksagan, an ancient story that became known in Sweden in the 17th century. The story describes the Icelandic family cliff letters aetternis stapni for the first time in writing.
Valhall at Orlundens beach in Olofström.
Visit: You find Valhall on the western side of the Orlunden lake in the municipality of Olofströms. Don't forget to bring your stuffed picnic basket.
Emigration Monument, Karlshamn
Between 1845 and 1930, almost a third of the Swedish population emigrated as a result of a shortage of agricultural land, unemployment, religious oppression and lack of personal freedom.
Emigration Monument, Karlshamn
On the other side of the Atlantic, the American Homestead Act attracted cheap, almost free farmland, and many Swedes saw the United States as the salvation of life. In August 1853, the first ship eased anchor in Karlshamn, when the boat Amalia Maria resigned for her maiden voyage (from Karlshamn) with 196 emigrants on board. The emigrant monument represents Karl Oskar and Kristina and shows how Karl Oskar looks out to the sea while Kristina anxiously throws a glance at the home town and everything they leave. The monument is built by the sculptor Axel Olsson and erected in Midsummer in 1959.
Visit: You will find the emigration monument in Näsviken (the promenade) just south of Hamngatan. www.karlshamn.se
Already at the Danish time, in the middle of the 12th century, the Danish king sent his best runologists to Kongslijden in Blekinge to interpret the scriptures as someone made in the bedrock. Saxo Grammaticus, a Danish historian who worked as a secretary for Archbishop Absalon of Denmark, concluded that the runes were probably signed by Harald Hildetand, a Danish fairytale king who fell in the battle of Bråvalla. Far later, in the middle of the 19th century, the runologist Finn Magnusen succeeded in explaining the scriptures and concluded that the script probably came from an illness that the saga hero Starkad is said to have dictated under the Bråvallas team. Later, many archaeologists succeeded in proving that runic inscriptions were never anything but natural cracks in the bedrock.
Runamo consists of many cracks in the ground that were previously interpreted as run text.
Visit: You will find Runamo south of the E22 in the middle between the lakes Salsjön and Blanksjön along the Blekingeleden trail between Järnavik and Ronneby Brunnspark. It may be a bit difficult to find the cracks, but you see them east of the sign, at the edge of the mountain slope.
The ax mark in the Holy Cross Church, Ronneby
Since Swedish soldiers on retreat during the Nordic seven-year war were executed by the people in Ronneby, the Swedish king became furious and ordered Ronneby to be levelled with the ground. The Swedes called on the urban people to surrender, which Ronnebyborna refused, and on September 4, Swedish troops attacked Ronneby, who soon fell. The city was plundered, and people were killed to death, according to the king's decision. Not even the church was left in peace, but the soldiers broke through the gates to ravage both women, children and the old who sought protection in the church in a wild rage. Still one can see the blackening church gate with marks for axes and hillsides from Ronneby bloodbath in 1564. The entrance is kept inside the church.
Holy cross church in Ronneby
The old church gate with ax marks is kept indoors in the Holy Cross Church.
If the Russian came
- a city walks under central Karlskrona.
Just below Stortorget in the middle of central world heritage town Karlskrona, what was previously one of Sweden's most extensive underground defence facilities is located. Nowadays, the rock rooms are sealed, apart from the Railway tunnel between Hogland's park (Koopman's hill) and the southern part of the Amiralitetsparken. What began as an ordinary logistics project, one merely had to be able to transport goods to the war shipyard from the railway station further north, got completely different tasks in the middle of burning world war. First as a telephone exchange (1923) and then as a staff place to eventually be expanded with kitchen, hospital and accommodation. For over twenty years, the defence forces built, burst and dug themselves deeper into the bedrock right beneath Karlskrona. The facility was in use until the end of the Cold War.
The railway tunnel passes straight below the Admiralty bell tower in Karlskrona.
"Having thousands of civilians living in the middle of a strategic military goal was, of course, no dream scenario for either the Armed Forces or Karlskrona municipality," says the guide Michael Helgesson. Apart from a visit to the railway tunnel, the visitor can follow down into the shelter outside Blekinge District Court and explore the atomic bomb protected Berggården thirty meters underground www.kulturkompaniet.eu
Michael Helgesson at Kulturkompaniet arranges the city walk "If the Russian came" in Karlskrona. Michael unlocks the door to the shelter under the main square.
The 150 square meter large shelter outside Blekinge District Court was intended for 125 people.
What really forms the basis of Rosenbom and the poor gun outside the Admiralty Church in Karlskrona is nobody who knows. The rumours are many and the stories that many more. One of the most likely stories relates to a beggar round at Karlskrona's bourgeoisie on the New Year's night 1717 when Matts Rosenbom, who came to Karlskrona to work on the shipyard, runs around with the citizens and asks for sup. As the hours go by, Rosenbom gets increasingly drunk, and with Captain Lagerbielke he loses his hat when he bows deeply. Later in the night Rosenbom is destroyed by sculptor Kobbe and freezes to death standing against the Admiralty Church with his hand stretched out. Full of bad conscience, Kobbe decides to make a wooden statue of Rosenbom in the shape of a weak gun with a sign: "Humbleest thing I ask of you, though the voice is probably dull, put a penny down, but lift up on my hat. Seldom is the one who lets himself be the poor ". Kon.Dav.41: 23rd
Admiralty church Ulrica Pia after Queen Ulrika Eleonora.
Rosenbom stands just outside the Admiralty Church Ulrica Pia.
Shipwreck, the Naval Museum, Karlskrona
When the Naval Museum in 1997 was built on Stumholmen in the middle of Karlskrona, on land that for hundreds of years belonged to the Navy, a wagon tunnel was also constructed where you can walk dry and look at a real shipwreck. Recently, the wreck was freed and could be identified as the warship Prince Carl from 1684, a merit ship that probably participated in the expedition towards Denmark in 1700, at the Battle of the Møen (1710) and at the Battle of Fehmarn (1715). When Prince Carl fought in the 18th century, the ship had at most 600 men on board and 86 guns. From the mid-17th century, a specific strike order was used at sea, where ships formed lines and fired their weapons towards one and the same direction. The line ships, also called battleships, were divided into several classes: first, second and third rank battleships. The warship Prince Carl was a first rank ship. www.marinmuseum.se