Summer vacation at its best - on an island in the Blekinge archipelago!
The archipelago Tjärö is an authentic Swedish summer idyll. Here you come by ferry from Järnavik and Karlshamn. At Tjärö you can stay in hostels, in a cabin just next to the water or in a comfortable hotel room. A good breakfast buffet, lunch and dinner are served daily. On the guest dock, you can enjoy a cup of coffee and have a cup of homemade cake, ice cream or freshly baked waffle. On the island, there are many activities, but if you just want to take it long, there are many places to be at. Swim, sunbathe, paddle, sauna or learn more about Tjärö from the past. Welcome to explore this magical summer island outside Karlshamn!
To Tjärö you come with the Tjärö boat from the harbour of Järnavik. It's just stepping on board. You can redeem the ticket at the reception when you want to go back to Järnavik, and only show up on the way home. The boat trip takes 15 minutes one way and grey with reasonably dense and regular traffic, here you find the timetable - Tjärö boat
You can also go to Tjärö from the centre of Karlshamn with a halfway stop in Matvik before arriving at Tjärö. The boat trip takes 45 minutes and leaves the archipelago terminal in Karlshamn's inner harbour. The names of the boats are M / F Tuva and M / F Vindskär. Here you will find the timetable - Karlshamns archipelago
Stay at Tjärö
At Tjärö you can stay in a double or multi-bedded room. You can also book your own cabin right on the seafront or tent if you wish. The environment is from the 18th and 19th centuries with small red cottages and white knots. All the houses are idyllically located in a small village in the middle of the island. Book accommodation here - Accommodation on Tjärö
Eat at Tjärö
In the restaurant, you can enjoy everything from a full breakfast buffet to a good cup of coffee, freshly baked waffle, lunch on the pier or an exquisite three-course dinner with the self-composed drinks menu. The island is a perfect excursion destination where during the summer you can enjoy enjoyable music evenings next to the sparkling water.
to do at Tjärö
- Sit down on a sunny cliff and look out over Karlshamn's beautiful archipelago.
- Stroll freely or hike along the two trails that allow you to discover the entire island. One of the routes goes north through a more hilly terrain over the cliffs while the other takes you through the deciduous forest. The whole island is a nature reserve with exotic flora and abundant birdlife, so just take in the experience.
- Bring your fishing gear and try your fishing luck for roach or pike.
- Paddle in the leafy archipelago, there is both canoe and kayak for rent.
- Bring a picnic basket and go ashore on a cape or island to enjoy the good.
- Eat a freshly baked waffle or take a glass break on the dock before it's time to get ready for tonight's restaurant visit.
- Sometimes it was nice to continue the afternoon and evening with a sauna. At Tjärö there is a wood-fired sauna raft at a buoy a bit out in the water you can rent. Would you rather be on dry land? There is a sauna in addition to that.
- Did you know that there is a twelve-meter high cliff - the Death Cliff - to dive or jump off? Do you dare to take up the challenge? It may be worth mentioning that everything happens at your own risk, but many people have received an adrenaline rush here. Want an insider tip? Wear the socks before you jump, it will burn less under the soles of the foot when hit.
The road to Tjärö
You park for free in Järnavik, south of Bräkne-Hoby. From there you take the Tjärö boat to the island in 15 minutes. You can also make a little more extended trip from Karlshamn with a jetty stop in Matvik.